In recent years, short-form videos have become an increasingly popular way for people and businesses to share content online. With the rise of platforms such as TikTok, Instagram Reels, and YouTube Shorts, users have embraced the bite-sized format to quickly and easily consume information and entertainment. In 2023, the use of short-form clips will continue to grow, and this article will explore why and discuss how businesses can leverage this trend to their advantage.
If this were last year, I would have advised you to be wary of betting everything on this trend because it was so new and might not stick around.
I’m not going to tell you that this year, though. Short-form videos are here to stay and are likely your best option to achieve higher levels of engagement and have your target audience remember you. If you’re worried that this will only attract Gen X-ers, that’s not necessarily the case. First, with 53% of its users over 30, TikTok’s user base is growing older. Plus, when you post the exact same clips on Instagram and Reels, you can draw in an even more mature audience.
Why will short-form videos grow in popularity for businesses?
One of the main reasons short-form films are expected to continue to grow in popularity for businesses is that they are highly shareable. They are typically around 15 seconds to one minute in length, making them easy for users to watch, share, and repost on their social media pages. This can increase brand visibility and reach a wider audience. For instance, suppose a business creates a short-form film that resonates with its target audience. In that case, that video can be shared thousands of times, potentially reaching millions of people. This can drive traffic to the business’s website or social media pages and ultimately increase engagement and sales.
Another reason why they are expected to grow in popularity among businesses is that they are easy to produce. Unlike traditional video content, which can require a significant amount of time and resources, these can be created using a smartphone. This makes them an accessible and cost-effective option for businesses of all sizes. Additionally, various tools and platforms are available that can help businesses easily edit and publish their videos, reducing the barrier to entry for creating this type of content even more.
Finally, the bite-sized nature of short-form videos makes them perfect for capturing attention in the fast-paced, attention-deficient world of social media. With so much content being produced and shared online, it can be difficult for businesses to stand out and grab their audience’s attention. Short-form videos, with their quick and punchy format, are well-suited to this environment and can help businesses to effectively engage with their audience and drive traffic to their website or social media pages.
What are the leading short-video platforms?
From a business perspective, the leading platforms are TikTok, Instagram Reels, and YouTube Shorts. They offer businesses a range of benefits that they can leverage to help increase brand visibility, engage with their audience, and drive traffic to their website or social media pages.
TikTok, for example, has a large and highly engaged user base, making it an attractive platform for businesses looking to reach a younger audience. By creating and sharing engaging and creative videos on TikTok, companies can increase their brand visibility and potentially go viral, reaching a wider audience and driving traffic to their website or social media pages.
Instagram Reels is another popular short-form video platform that businesses can leverage. As it is integrated into Instagram, companies can easily cross-promote their Reels on their other social media channels, increasing their reach and engagement. Additionally, Instagram Reels allows businesses to use hashtags and tag other users, making it easier for their content to be discovered by potential customers.
YouTube Shorts is a relatively new platform, but it has the potential to be an essential tool for businesses. As the largest video-sharing platform in the world, YouTube has a massive user base, and the introduction of Shorts allows businesses to create and share short-form films on the platform. This can help businesses to increase their brand visibility and drive traffic to their website or other social media channels.
The leading short-form film platforms are TikTok, Instagram Reels, and YouTube Shorts. These platforms offer businesses a range of benefits and can be leveraged to increase brand visibility, engage with their audience, and drive traffic to their website or social media pages.
54% of companies leveraged short-form video in 2022 – HubSpot
How can businesses leverage short-form videos?
There are many ways that businesses can leverage short-form videos to promote their products or services. Some examples include:
- Post short-form videos on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to connect with a wider audience and engage with potential customers.
- Produce how-to videos or product demonstrations to educate customers about your products or services and show them how to use them effectively.
- Use short-form videos to showcase customer testimonials or reviews to build trust and credibility with potential customers.
- Create behind-the-scenes clips or interviews with employees or experts to give customers a more personal and authentic look at your business.
- Use short-form videos to announce new products or promotions or provide updates on your business’s latest developments.
Overall, there are many creative ways that businesses can leverage short-form videos to promote their products or services and engage with potential customers.
39.4% of companies use short-form videos to sell products/services – HootSuite
How often should a business post its short-form videos?
Let’s now discuss what to post and how frequently to post it to achieve the best outcomes, even if you don’t necessarily want to be on camera. Various studies suggest that you must commit to posting at least one recording daily if you’re going to thrive on these networks.
To prove daily videos’ worth, Instagram content expert Dominic Rieger challenged five random students to prioritize daily videos for 60 days. In the end, those who stuck with it for 60 days grew their audience to more than 340. Those who only posted once a week saw their audience grow by just around 40.
What about short video production quality?
Of course, you’re probably wondering, “how can I possibly produce and post a video daily?” It’s not as difficult as you might think.
My biggest piece of advice is to not worry about your production value. It just doesn’t matter! In other words, your videos don’t need to look like Oscar-winning masterpieces. It’s not about that at all. The ones shot from your phone work perfectly well. There are a few different types of videos that you can crank out with very little planning and effort.
Here are a few ideas to get you started. Start by producing clips that offer quick-tip advice, a strategy you use, a shocking statistic relevant to your niche, a product you love, a book you suggest, or a gadget you can’t live without.
Short-format videos can be presented in a variety of ways. You can speak directly to the camera, with some related point-of-view video in the background and text on the screen, or even use the green screen feature on your phone.
The best way to create these short videos is to batch them all into a couple of hours each week. Then, you will have all of your videos ready to post for the following week.
I know this all sounds like a lot of work, but at the end of the day, these videos are all super short. Typically, you want them to be 15 to 60 seconds long. And considering you can reuse them on three major platforms, the exposure you can get is well worth it.
59.9% of customers say a video being too long would deter them from watching – Animoto
To wrap things up, short-format videos are an effective and engaging way for businesses to communicate with their audience. These videos help businesses showcase their products and services, build brand awareness, and improve customer engagement. By leveraging this trend, companies can increase their brand visibility, engage with their audience, and drive traffic to their website or social media pages. Furthermore, short-form videos can be a cost-effective and efficient way for businesses to promote their brand and increase sales. As a result, companies need to consider incorporating short-form videos into their marketing strategy.
Short-Format Video FAQs
- How can I use short-form videos to promote my business? There are many ways to use short-form videos to promote your business. You can create videos that showcase your products or services, share behind-the-scenes footage of your business, or offer tips and advice related to your industry. You can then share your videos on social media or other platforms to reach a wider audience.
- How can short-form videos benefit my business? Short-form videos can be a valuable tool for companies to engage with their audience and promote their products or services. They are a quick and effective way to share information about your business and connect with potential customers.
- What are some practical ways to create short-form videos for my business? Some practical ways to create short-form videos for your business include highlighting the unique features of your products or services, telling a compelling story about your business, and incorporating customer testimonials. It is also important to think about the needs and interests of your target audience and create videos that will resonate with them.
- Are any tools or resources available to help me create short-form videos for my business? There are many tools and resources available to help businesses create short-form videos. These include video editing software, social media platforms, and online communities for creators. Some popular tools for creating short-form videos include Adobe Premiere, iMovie, and TikTok.
- How can I measure the success of my short-form videos? To measure the success of your short-form videos, you can track key metrics such as the number of views, likes, and shares your videos receive. You can also use tools like Google Analytics to track the traffic to your website from your videos and monitor your videos’ engagement and conversion rates to see how effective they are at driving business outcomes.